Sunday, November 20, 2011

Did Market bottom in Oct 2011?

Here are the MONTHLY charts of S&P 500 and Hang Seng Index for the last 20 Years. (It took me very long to find a good,free charting site that gives long historical data and I found one, and I hope you can appreciate it. FreeStockCharts.com is good and best of all FREE!)

We can see the prices in Oct 2011 were quite close to historical bottoms ; in terms of valuations, stocks were at historically low valuation then too.

I think, at this point in time, much against the torrents of bad news we are hearing, all the armageddon calls, it is not time to panic sell, given the reasons above. But it doesn't mean that one should jump in with reckless abandon either, I think we still need to exercise caution as market is simply too volatile at the moment.